The 90th Academy Awards are right around the corner, set to air live on Sunday, March 4th at 8:00 EST. Iconic actors, producers, and even music artists will be walking with glamour down the red carpet, ready for the elegant night ahead. While this event primarily showcases the Film Industry, we must not forget that some of our favorite music artists also have the chance to take home an Oscar.
Each year, there’s an award for Best Original Song. Listed below are the 2018 nominees. Have you heard any of these on the radio?!
- “Mighty River” from Mudbound
- “Mystery of Love” from Call Me by Your Name
- “Remember Me” from Coco
- “Stand Up For Something” from Marshall
- “This Is Me” from The Greatest Showman
Some of these may be more familiar than others. Billboard has put together a list here of the 10 Best and Worst Academy Award Original Song Winners that you’re bound to at least recognize some! From old to new, some of these picks are not only all time classics, but radio classics as well.
We pulled some radio facts about some of the best and worst!
- The Titanic classic, “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion broke the record for reaching the largest radio audience ever at the time, with 117 million listeners in February 1998.
- Despite rapper Eminem’s classic, “Lose Yourself” from 8 mile was played on alternative rock radio, and reached the Top 15 for the Modern Rocks Chart. Who knew the hip hop star would be considered a rock star!
- Did you know, “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life” from Dirty Dancing was a flop and completely fell off the charts when it was first released a month before the movie? Once the film aired though, the song received admired attention and still today is an all-time top radio hit.
Download the NextRadio app for the chance to hear some of these Academy Award classics on the radio, and tune in to the Oscar’s to see if your favorites will take home the trophy!